Happy New Year! Today I’m giving you 5 simple steps to jump start your health. With the New Year upon us everyone is thinking about what changes to make. Quite often diet and exercise are on the top of the list. I’m not one for resolutions, but I think it’s important to set intentions, goals, and even more important to devise a plan to achieve them. If your intention for 2015 is to get healthy or lose weight than this list is for you!
I didn’t always live a healthy lifestyle. I’m 7 months pregnant now and feel like I have been shoveling sweets in my mouth lately, Cookie Monster style… so clearly I need to get back on track too! My husband and I look back at our college days and gasp at what we ate, drank and how little we paid attention to our bodies. Today I’m sharing what we found worked best for us in starting and maintaining a healthier lifestyle.
- Ease in to changes, changing too much at once can be overwhelming and lead to failure. What do I mean by that? If you decide to go from the couch to the gym daily AND completely overhaul your diet it will be hard to maintain and you will likely be unhappy and give up. Make small changes that you can commit to, like going to the gym or trying a new class a few times a week for a half an hour. This will make you proud and give you confidence to continue on your journey.
- Instead of focusing on eliminating too much of what you’re used to, add the good stuff that you enjoy or want to try. Start by making a list of fruits, vegetables and whole grains that you like. Then search for whole food recipes that you are comfortable with making, that don’t have too much dairy, unhealthy fats, sugar or processed food. Pinterest is a great place to search for, store and categorize recipes. Keep track of the recipes you like and use them as a go to in the future.
- Ditch bad habits. Make a list of your bad habits, it helps to visualize it and hold yourself accountable. Then incorporate new healthier habits like:
- doubling recipes and freezing in single servings to grab and go when you don’t have the time to cook
- bring your lunch to work, mason jar salads or leftovers are great
- come up with two or three easy, healthy breakfasts and keep the ingredients on hand so you don’t have to think about it in the morning (my go-to’s are scrambled egg/egg whites with veggies with a slice of ezikiel toast and oatmeal with fruit and nuts)
- Plan your meals and grocery list for the week or a designated amount of time that works for you! Here’s my post on simple meal planning, check it out.
- Give yourself a break! Don’t be too hard on yourself the days that you didn’t make it to the gym or you ate something you’ve been trying to avoid. One day, two days or even three days are not going to ruin your progress. Remember, every day is a chance to start fresh and get back on track. Plus, it’s important to splurge and enjoy life. My rule of thumb is if I am eating well and exercising 80% of the time than I am doing just fine!
All the recipes at mason jar salads focus on nutrition and using whole foods without sacrificing flavor. Don’t forget to sign-up to receive all new recipes in your inbox! Now get out there and be the wellness warrior of your own life and share all of your victories with us!