In under ten minutes you can make this creamy, healthy oatmeal that your kids will love. Without the added sugar and lengthy shelf life that come with prepackaged oatmeal. It’s easy to prepare ahead of time for breakfast during the week. You can store it in the fridge in a mason jar for several days or freeze it for the baby in ice cube trays. The combination of warm apple sauce, cinnamon and vanilla are the perfect flavor combo and a great way to start the day! Oats are a good source of fiber, and minerals with 7 grams of protein in just a 1/2 cup. Unsweetened almond milk provides healthy fat, calcium and vitamin D but water works too. I drizzle a little honey on top for sweetness but that’s optional.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup organic quick cooking rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla
- drizzle of honey (optional)
- Heat the almond milk in a medium sauce pot over medium heat to boil.
- Toss in oats, reduce to a medium simmer. Add the cinnamon and vanilla.
- Continue to whisk or stir. Add the apple sauce once the oatmeal starts to thicken (make sure it doesn't stick on the bottom). Should take about 5 minutes.